Monday, April 25, 2016

Reflections on ANZAC Day 2016





This is the day New Zealanders pay tribute to the soldiers who died on 25 April 1915, eight months into the First World War, when the Allied soldiers landed on the shores of the Gallipoli peninsula in Turkey.


It is a day to honour all people who have paid the ultimate sacrifice of their life, and service men and women work around the world to keep people safe from war and disaster. 

See NZ Herald photos and videos of ANZAC Day 2016


ANZAC Day has not only become a public holiday, but a day to be with family and friends in this peaceful country. We are a nation that celebrates cultural diversity, and the freedom to choose how we live.

The Last Post Reveille sounding from a trumpet always brings many emotions to the surface

  • How did you spend ANZAC Day this year?
  • What does Aotearoa, New Zealand mean to you?
  • What do you value about living in this country?


The poppy flower is a symbol of remembrance on Anzac Day. It was the first flower to grow in the battle fields where men had fought and died in Flanders, Belgium, Europe.

Flowers are very powerful symbols. 

In Japan, Sakura, the cherry blossom represents the fragile beauty of life.

In South Africa the Protea, is a symbol of courage and transformation.

In Samoa, the Frangipani means everlasting life.



29 comments:

  1. i feel so sorry for them and at the same time proud for them.if they did not do that our country would be in war,danger and yeah so you should say in your head thank you.
    p.s:my dads birthday is on anzac day
    from jewel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so beautiful-Cherry and Jessica

      Delete
    2. 1.i just staed at home
      2.nothing
      3.it's clean
      aya

      Delete
  2. I played games over than 4hours
    English, country


























    ReplyDelete
  3. I stayed at home.
    Everything.
    It is isolated so we are kind of away from the world which I like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stayed at home| I went to the beach
    It's my home,and a land of peace|My home
    The air's clean, hardly much pollution,Not much war, very peaceful- Cherry and Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.I was in sydney for ANZAC day and we when for the fair at 5.00am
    2.Well it means alot to me and always spend it with my family
    3.That everyone can do what they what to do and this country has lot of nice people

    By mya butler in room 2

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stayed at home
    everything
    I like new zealand because its clean

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stayed at home
    everything
    it's awesome
    BRAYDEN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cayden room 2 1. I did nothing on Anzac day 2.it means nothing to me 3.it is nice in nz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was in the browns bay parade
    Nz is my home
    I like Nz because its not polluted
    ella

    ReplyDelete
  10. Playing games
    Good country
    Give me feel good
    Mark Lao

    ReplyDelete
  11. went to holiday place
    Its means to me like i belong here
    going to school
    Andrew L

    ReplyDelete
  12. went to holiday place
    Its means to me like i belong here
    going to school
    Andrew L

    ReplyDelete
  13. Playing games on device
    The country that a live in.
    makes me feel happy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. went to albany service
    dont no
    it peaceful
    by benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  15. I went to go visit my great grandparents grave
    it means everything to me
    that it is the first country to be found
    Camryn Lyon

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. went to my granparents house
    everything
    everything
    Jasmines

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eating ANZAC biscuit
    A natural country
    It's natural and have many nature
    By Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  19. I visited my great grandparents graves
    It means everything to me
    It was the first country to be found
    Camryn Lyon

    ReplyDelete
  20. went to grandparents house
    everything
    everything
    by jasmine berry

    ReplyDelete
  21. I played games for 1 hour and worked on a workbook for 2 hours
    New Zealand is a good country and has a beautiful sight
    It's not polluted and has very yummy fish and chips
    David Yoon

    ReplyDelete
  22. I stay at home and play
    everything
    New Zealand is beautiful and it is clean.
    Grace son

    ReplyDelete
  23. I stayed at home
    Everything
    It's beautiful
    Kalina

    ReplyDelete
  24. I went to Mairangi bay
    Everything
    It's clean and it has fresh air
    Sean Hwang

    ReplyDelete
  25. 1I went down to the dewn parade in whangmata
    2 Peaceful and lots of colour
    3 no war and lots of land
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  26. I stayed home
    good day
    because its a new country for me
    by aya

    ReplyDelete